Tonight, I decided to make pesto zucchini noodles with chicken. I know it’s not the prettiest meal I’ve ever made…but hey, it was my first time so cut me some slack! Zucchini noodles, or “zoodles”, as people like to call them, are a great substitute to regular pasta noodles. They are low-carb, super low in calories, and great for your heart. And by topping it with grilled chicken, you’re getting your serving of protein! It’s always fun trying new recipes, and there’s nothing better than knowing you can satisfy that craving of yours while still living a healthy lifestyle.
Don’t forget, “A healthy life means a happy life, and a happy life means a healthy life.” Enjoy!
The following recipe came from team beach body and yields 2 servings.
1 tsp. olive oil
½ medium red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
4 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
2 medium zucchini
1 Tbsp. basil pesto sauce
6 oz. cooked chicken breast, boneless, skinless, sliced, warm
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
3. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
4. Add mushrooms and basil; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms release liquid. Set aside.
5. Using a vegetable peeler, cut each zucchini into lengthwise strips about ⅛ inch thick. Turn zucchini slightly after cutting each strip to work evenly around the outside, stopping when you hit the seeds at the core. Discard cores. Cut slices lengthwise into ½- inch ribbons. Set aside.
6. Add zucchini to onion mixture; cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes, or until heated through.
7. Add pesto; mix well.
8. Evenly divide zucchini mixture between two serving plates; evenly top with chicken.